Thursday, September 4, 2008

September ramblings

School is back in session for most of us. Some teach a few weeks at a time, some along the traditional school calendar, and a few actually formally teach all year long. Whatever your method, September seems to be a good time for looking forward, starting new things, and generally “getting in gear".



Summer never seems quite long enough, though. Relaxing after finishing the prior school year, taking a vacation, doing outdoor projects…the time just seems to fly. I remember my dad telling me, when I was about five years old, “You think time drags by…as you get older, the days will fly by faster and faster.” Of course, I didn’t believe him.


Having a schedule for all the things we do seems to make sense of the days and weeks. We are pretty sure we can fit “it” in, whatever “it” is. The new math curriculum, the field trip, the trip to Grandma’s, the family volunteering project…all have their place of importance in our plans.




But sometimes, a bright yellow
flower will grab my attention, and
I just have to stop and admire it.
(The autumn sun shines so
magnificently on yellow flowers!)





A young kitten will mew as his
mother leaves the furry litter,
and I just have to stop, and admire
his tiny mouth and ears. (Kitten fur
is the epitome of softness!)




The tomatoes are growing nicely in the garden, and I just
have to pop one in my mouth and savor the sweetness.
(Nothing tastes more like “summer” than vegetables eaten
right in the garden!)


So as you make your schedule, and make your way through this busy September, take time to enjoy the moments that spring up, and tempt you to abandon your schedule. Sometimes abandonment is a good word.





2 comments:

Deanna said...

When I first glanced at your school book collection, I thought one of them was titled "Meth Lab".
Sitting next to the Police Lab, it made sense, in a scary sort of way.
I think you should abandon that idea!

Anonymous said...

Ladies, Ladies, can't we be serious, just once? A meth lab? You are either watching too many Law & Order reruns or your imagination is working overtime.
Perhaps both????
Anne